Friday, September 30, 2011

My Scout Master Would be Proud


This morning I was walking to the elevator to go to work and I saw a tiny hunched figure with gray hair poking out from under her babushka leaning on a cane. She was squinting and trying desperately to read the directory through a pair of thick glasses that looked to be half the size of her tiny head. I immediately thought of my poor old grandmother. If she were squinting at a directory I would hope some young man would help her so I walked up to her and offered my assistance.

"Good morning, I work here. That directory is really old, half of those companies aren't even here anymore." I lied. "Do you need help finding something?"

She turned to squint at me with a pair of ancient blue eyes as broad toothy smile appeared on her face. "I've been here before but I forgot where I was going," she laughed "What floor is Weinstein and Associates on?"

"Fortunately that's a popular question." I replied "He's on seven. I was just going up that way myself actually."

"Oh, thank you." She said.

We walked through the hall to the elevator. She moved very slowly and I though about offering her my arm but I didn't want to patronize her so I just walked slowly beside her to the elevator and pushed "up." As the door swung open I reached in to hold it for her.

"Service with a smile, how about that!" She said as she shuffled on to the elevator.

"These doors close so fast." I said.

"Ha ha, they must want to keep you working!"

"Yeah, that's the truth."

I followed her on to the elevator and hit her floor. "Weinstein is a left off the elevator." I said as I got off on my floor.

"Thank you so much young man. You remind me of my grandson."

"He must be a good looking fellah." I said as I winked at her.

"He sure is." She laughed "Take care."

As I walked back to my desk I thought to myself "It's about time I give grandma a call."

1 comment:

  1. That's sweet. Helping people is a reward in itself. It makes me, at least, feel very good. Not that I need that sort of justification, but knowing that I may have put a smile on someone's face for a while is grand.

    Also, my grandmother is getting up there in age. I find it very important at this point in life to always tell her how much I love her and always help her when she needs it. She can definitely get on my nerves sometimes, but she won't be around forever and she is a great person.

    By the way, I noticed your thread was locked on the forums.. -_-
    I just don't understand those mods sometimes.

    ReplyDelete